Tuesday 5 May 2009

Drinking


Drinking; alot of people do it, but is it 'bad' to drink? I think that drinking is okay from the social point of view;just going out once a week or so with friends to drink and have a good time. The problem comes when people take it to the extream; getting 'wasted' on numerous days of the week and not knowing what they're doing-even worst when it develops into drinking everyday-alone.


Taking the health risks into account; whilst revising my Psychology work I came across something called Korsakoff's syndrome, this illness is to do with the loss or shrinkage of neurons in the brain which can effect an individual's memory. This illness comes about from severe alcoholism.


Like drugs; severe consumption of alcohol can produce an addiction, thus the individual experiences withdrawal symptoms when they do not consume any, so therefore they have to drink just to feel 'normal'. Alcoholism can lead to problems with internal organs such as; liver disease and the illness mentioned above. Additionally to this; if a women drinks whilst pregnant this can affect the baby's development, which can influence mental illnesses and physical deformatives.


Even when the health risks are not taken into account, alcoholism can cause many personal problems such as relationship problems, feeling withdrawn from friends etc.


There are many effects of alcohol; it causes a relaxing feeling, slows reflexes, lowers inhibitions and can make the individual feel confident and good about themselves. This within itself can cause problems; drink driving/unprotected sex. But such things are really only a problem when the individual goes over their limit.


I myself know when my limit is; I have only ever got that drunk I didn't know what I was doing-luckily enough I had good friends with me that gave me plenty of water to sober me up and so nothing bad happened to me (if you don't count the hangover the next day). But this doesn't always happen;hence the problems with drinking too much alcohol.


So really I don't see alcohol as being 'bad' as long as you know your limits and pace yourself, there's no reason why you shouldn't enjoy yourself whilst drinking alcohol. The problem comes when you drink too much...that's when alcohol is 'bad'.






No comments:

Post a Comment