Tuesday 17 February 2009

Prostitution


I can't really say that I know alot about Prostitution, but I just thought that it was a good subject to write about.
Well seen as this is a blog about 'being bad'; is it 'bad' to be a prostitute? I suppose there would be lots of very different views on this.
My opinion is indifferent I have to admit. I've seen the films, read the books and articles that feature prostitution; but I do believe that an individual could never understand why someone would want to become one until they are put in that situation. But then I also think if an individual is in such a bad way that they turn to prostitution there's got to be something else they can do other than sell themselves for sex. At the moment though I'm only generalising prostitution to places like the UK, where there are other ways for desperate people to get money.
After reading an article on the net I realised that the law only infact protects the purchaser of the service and not the actual prostitute. It suprises me with the amount of sexual assault and other sexually related crimes in society nowadays, that a prostitute is not protected by the law. So, a prostitue could experience violence from a man and the law wouldn't do anything about it; this is never right surely?
Apparantly there's also measures in place to legalise prostitution; I'm not too sure about this at all. I don't think it's totally right for a women to give up her body to a total stranger for money anyway, so actually making this okay in the eyes of the law is a step too far. The only advantage I can see from this is that a women would be protected within the industry by the law; so therefore perhaps this would lower the rates of violence and abuse directed towards these women.
So on the whole I can't really argue for or against this cause I have to admit I don't truly understand the full extent to what these women go through and what would bring them to do it in the first place, I suppose, like everything else, each individual is different and must have their own reasons for either doing it or being the buyer of it.


http://www.prostitutionreform.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment